2021 Academic Internship – Campus GIS Technician
Facilities Management - University of Maryland, College Park
Facilities Management is seeking undergraduate students to participate in the Campus Enterprise GIS initiative at UMD. Selected students will receive on-the-job training, gain valuable practical experience, and participate in cutting-edge applications of GIS for institutional management and service to the campus community.
Under direction of Facilities Management GIS staff, students:
- Perform data entry, maintenance, and accuracy assessment in the production of GIS data related to the University of Maryland campus.
- Produce maps, diagrams, inventory catalogs, and reports documenting GIS data.
- Research and apply new developments in GIS technology and assist in GIS application development tasks.
- Provide assistance with field surveying and data collection.
- Assist campus data managers with additional aspects of project management and data development.
- Conducting data entry and creating, updating, or expanding campus GIS datasets.
- Preparing data layers and geodatabases for use with standardized symbology and data model templates.
- Adding data layers to web applications, including the public Campus Webmap.
- Developing transportation and campus utility network datasets.
- Developing 3-dimensional and interior space campus datasets and scenes.
- Updating feature class metadata and documenting project workflows.
Eligibility, Rewarded Academic Credit, and Internship Documentation:
Throughout the internship period, internship participants must be enrolled at the University of Maryland, in good academic standing, and have successfully completed GEOG373 (or comparable coursework and/or training). Students participating in this internship must sign up for an internship-for-credit or independent study course depending on arrangements between the student and the department awarding academic credit; academic credit earned is defined by the academic department’s course criteria. All students are required to submit, to Facilities Management, any final projects documenting their activities as assigned by the course awarding credit.
Hours of Work and General Working Conditions:
Weekly internship hours are based around the student’s academic commitments and internship course requirements. A typical work week includes 12 hours per week in the office, for a total minimum of 140 hours by the end of the internship period (generally required to receive 3 credits). Work is generally performed in an office environment but field work on campus may also be assigned.
- Successful completion of GEOG373 is required and completion of other upper-level technical GIS courses (Python for GIS, Spatial Analysis, Computer Cartography, and Mobile/Web GIS) is highly desired.
- Proficiency with Esri ArcGIS Desktop (ArcMap, ArcCatalog) and/or ArcGIS Pro and Microsoft Office is required.
- Graphic design, web development, and programming/scripting experience is also desired.
To apply: Please submit the form at https://go.umd.edu/campus-gis-internship-application. The application period for the Fall 2021 semester will close at midnight on Friday, August 20th, 2021. Please send questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.