The Fulbright Canada- Mitacs Globalink internship program will allow exceptional U.S. undergraduate students to do an internship in Canada during the 2023 summer semester.
This program will provide undergraduate students with the opportunity to be part of a 10 to 12-week research internship under the supervision of Canadian university faculty members in various academic disciplines, from science, engineering and mathematics to the humanities and social sciences.
Mitacs, our partner in this initiative, is a federally funded, national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for some 20 years. Working with 70 universities, 6,000 companies, and both federal and provincial governments, support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
Applications will open the first week of August, 2022, and the deadline is September 20, 2022, at 11:59 PM EST.
FOR MORE INFORMATION AND APPLICATION ASSISTANCE WRITE TO: FULBRIGHT@UMD.EDU
- U.S. undergraduate students will come to Canada to undertake advanced research projects.
- Projects will cover a broad cross-section of research topics, including most academic disciplines.
- Students will spend 10 to 12 weeks (May-August) in Canada on a research project in their area of interest.
- Students will be placed at a Canadian university and undertake a supervised research project.
- Students will have extensive opportunities for cultural, social, and recreational experiences.
EligibilityParticipants in this program must:
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student at an accredited university located in the United States ;
- Be a United States citizen, and hold a valid U.S. passport;
- Have at least one semester remaining in their program of study as of Fall 2023 (this program is not suitable for 1st-year NOR last year students);
- Have a competitive grade point average;
- Be available to spend between 10 to 12 weeks in Canada between May and August;
- Apply by September 20, 2022, at 11:59 PM EST
Students who participate in this program will have:
- Access to the prestigious worldwide Fulbright network (the Globalink program will not impact the eligibility to apply for Fulbright Student programs);
- Access to Canada’s top research facilities;
- Opportunity to gain valuable international experience;
- Rewarding experience combining academic research, professional skills, and personal growth;
- Grant of up to CAD$7800
To apply, students must provide:
- a completed application online form;
- unofficial transcripts from their home university or college;
- a two-page Curriculum Vitae (CV);
- two letters of reference - see submission details here;
- a one-page personal statement- no final project needs to be identified.
The program is highly competitive. Students will be evaluated on a combination of factors, including:
- record of academic achievement, personal statement, current skills and interests, fit to program, letters of recommendation
- For promotional purposes, please see the program brochure here
- Program website and application instructions are available here
- See here the 2021 Fulbright-MITACS Globalink Webinar- Disregard the dates in the video since this is a webinar from last year's competition
- You can see examples of available projects here (disregard the deadline mentioned). You do not need to select a project at this stage. Should you be selected, you will choose the project(s) of your interest in a second round.
- Here you can find stories from former Globalink recipients.