The Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services seeks a Research & Evaluation intern for Spring 2023. We are seeking a talented student with an interest in criminal justice and public service for an internship. GOCPYVS is Maryland's one stop shop for resources to improve public safety. The Intern will experience the inner workings of state government from the vantage point of the Executive branch. This Intern will assist the Research, Analysis and Evaluation Division with collecting various criminal justice data and research to assist the Agency with making data-driven decisions and utilizing evidence based practices.
● Assist the Research & Analysis Chief with various research and statistical analysis on criminal justice data and programs;
● Providing in-depth quantitative analysis and research on criminal justice topics to support public safety policy and legislation;
● Assisting in the planning, implementation, and evaluation of criminal justice programs; ● Analyzing performance measures
● Assisting with any statistical analysis of various legislative reports required under Maryland law including but not limited to traffic stops, asset forfeiture and juveniles charged as adults
● Becoming involved with various criminal justice data improvement projects; ● Attend meetings with various criminal justice stakeholders at the local, state, and county level;
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities
● Enrolled in Criminal Justice, social sciences, or a related field.
● Knowledge of criminal justice subject areas
● Excellent oral and written communication skills
● Experience cleaning and analyzing datasets
● Experienced researcher
● Experience conducting policy analysis
● Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office Suite
● Knowledge of data vizializition tools such as Power BI
● Ability to work as a team player
● Program Dates: January 2023 - April 2023, up to 30 hours per week
● This 12-week program provides students interested in criminal justice with rewarding and substantive work assignments that contribute to the mission of the Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services to improve public safety in Maryland.
● This program provides an opportunity to network with professionals from the Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services, the Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services, Department of Health, Administrative Office of the Courts, Maryland State Commission on Criminal Sentencing Policy, local corrections, and other agencies and others who will support professional growth and career interests.
● Learned outcomes or skills learned throughout this program include developing work habits and attitudes necessary for career success in the criminal justice field; receiving informal feedback and mentoring from the Research & Analysis Chief, developing communication, interpersonal, and other critical skills necessary for success in the workforce; and building a record of professional work experience in the public sector.
● This position is located at 100 Community Place, Crownsville, MD 21032 with consideration of remote work.
● For consideration, submit a resume, cover letter, writing sample (no more than two pages in length), as well as names and contact information for two references to Jeffrey Zuback, Chief of Research and Analysis at email@example.com by Friday, October 21, 2022.