Transfer Student Resources

The College of Behavioral and Social Sciences recognizes that transferring can be overwhelming. After speaking with some experienced transfer students, we've assembled a list of resources to help you jumpstart your Maryland experience.

Campus Resources

There are three main types of formal advising that can be found within BSOS. General advising, departmental advising and career advising.
  • College - Have questions about General Education requirements, study abroad, transfer credit? Schedule an appointment with BSOS advising online or call 301-405-1697 to ask about walk-in hours.
  • Department - For major requirements, four year plan questions and more contact your department.
  • Career Planning - Meet with a Career Planning staff member in the BSOS Feller Center to map out your internship or career exploration plan.  Schedule an appointment through Careers4Terps or email questions to

Terrapin Technology Store
Need to buy a computer or get a device fixed? Head to the first floor of McKeldin Library to have a Terrapin Technology store staff member address your computer needs (whether you purchased your computer on or off campus). Visit the location on the first floor of stamp to purchase a new device. For more information, including hours open, visit the Terrapin Technology Store website.
Download Microsoft Office, Matlab, SPSS, Photoshop and more for free. Yes, for free at TERPware Software.
Have questions about housing during your time at UMD? Be sure to check the Reslife and
APPS to download
Have a smartphone? Download these apps to make your life on campus a little bit easier
  • Canvas UMD - the most important aspects of Canvas online in a user friendly app
  • NextBus - track arrival times of all UMD shuttle buses
  • UMD Finals App - a must-have during finals week, with dates and times of finals as well as discounts on food and a list of campus events
  • UMD Campus Map - offers a map of UMD with building codes and directions to get to class
Navigating Campus
  • Susquehanna Hall - Do you have a class here? Building code SQH? Not sure where it is? We’ve got your back:
Our campus is huge! Susquehanna Hall may not be the only building you have trouble finding. For help navigating our campus, head to TerpNav to plan your routes to class.

Explore the Maryland Community

Good Morning Commuters
Transfer and Off-Campus Student Life offers fee breakfast is to transfer and commuter students the first Wednesday of every month. A spread of muffins, coffee & juice is set up in the Stamp Prince George’s Room for you to devour from 7:30am to 11am.
SEE Events
The student group SEE (Student Entertainment Events) brings an array of performances and movies to campus for students to enjoy.
Follow their schedule throughout the year.
Free Stamp Events
The beginning of a new school year means there is a ton of fun and free events happening on campus that you do not want to miss. Check out Stamp’s Special Events & Programs page for more information on events and programming this fall.
Free Events in DC
Take advantage of the fact that our nation’s capital is just a metro ride away with free events happening almost every day.
Bookmark the blog Free in DC or follow them on Twitter at @FreeinDCBlog


What is Elms?
Elms is a student/faculty portal that allows you and your professors to keep track of all materials and assignments throughout the semester. It is important to note however that each professor uses the site differently. Some professors will require students to upload assignments on Elms, others will only use it to post readings. Therefore, we encourage you to read the syllabus closely and ask questions about how your professor intends to use Elms throughout the semester.
How do I apply for honors?
Each department runs its own departmental honors program. If interested, visit your department's website and/or speak with a departmental advisor.
Does BSOS offer minors and/or certificates?
BSOS offers 9 minors and 1 certificate. Our minors include Black Women’s Studies, Geographic Information Sciences (GIS), Hearing & Speech Science, Global Terrorism, Remote Sensing of Environmental Change, International Development and Conflict Management, MLAW Law and Society, Neuroscience and Survey Methodology. We also offer a certificate in African American Studies.
Some minors require an application process. This should be taken into consideration when making your four year plan.
I need an official transcript. How do I order one?
Official transcripts can be ordered online or stop by the first floor in the Mitchell building to have it printed. There is an $8 fee per transcript that can be charged to your student account.
Have a question for us that was not answered here? Think there is something we missed that should be included? Shoot us a message at with your suggestions.